Thursday, December 24, 2009

Er Shi Ba


The Chinese 二十八 (er shi ba - literally, twenty-eight) in gas bottle delivery mode. This has all the classic er shi ba features - heavy duty 4 strut rear carrier, rickety basket, pink rubber inner-tube bungees, industrial-quality stand and general air of neglect. Technical highlights include out of phase cranks (courtesy of a worn cotter pin, no doubt) and rod brakes adjusted by the time honoured kink-the-rod-with-an-adjustable-spanner technique.

I wish that I could show you a photo of my shiny, brand new  永久 (Forever) er shi ba, but some bugger stole it - an absolutely guaranteed experience for new bike owners in China. Still, before the nefarious denizens of the Nanchang underworld got away with my pride and joy, I managed to take part in a daily ritual of twentieth century Chinese life - riding through a balmy subtropical evening with my wife-to-be sitting side saddle on the carrier of my er shi ba. Good memories to get me through the day back here in my car-is-king homeland.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment